I knew Wayne Cordeiro from his sermon podcasts from his church at Hawaii — New Hope. I know he was down-to-earth funny yet speaks from the heart and very good at challenging his audience to act out what was learned. That’s what I expected, and I received even more.
I just feel that what he talked about is exactly what I need as one of the leaders at Grace Place — at this very moment, in this season of my life. He talked from his experience as pioneering leader at his church and how burnout has almost robbed him of the joy of continuos service to God. I believe he has a corresponding book about this talk — Leading on Empty.
Here’s my talk notes of Wayne Cordeiro’s talk at the Leadership Summit:
Wayne Cordeiro – session 2
– teach what you know, but ultimately you reproduce what you are
– we don’t forget that we’re pastors and leaders. we forget we’re humans
– there will be time that you will hit the wall
– suffering will change you, but not necessary for the better. you must choose that
– you can suffer incorrectly
– or, you can suffer according to the will of god.
– when everything is going right, we feel invincible
– you can’t keep burning a lamp and not refuel it
– 85% of what you do, anybody can do
– 10% of what you do, someone can be trained to do
– 5% of what you do, nobody else can do
– only I can be a husband to my wife
– only i can be a dad to my children
– only i can grow my relationship with God
– only i can keep myself healthy
– in the end God will not hold you accountable for what you have done. He will hold you accountable for how much of what you have to do you have done
– you might be doing the wrong assignment
– what’s your 5%?
– when you’re clear headed and close to God, write down your 5%
– when you are down in the valley, look at those list.
– Jer. 17:16
– greatness does not happen in a day, but it happens daily
– if you don’t feed your soul, you can be doing the work of God and starve yourself.
– you can be a dead leader running
– rest can give you traction in life
– you can do ministry without a soul
– your attitude is your barometer if you soul is present
– your first most important decision in life is to follow Jesus. The second most important decision in your life is your attitude when you follow Jesus.