All of us have problems, insecurities, deep-seated emotional wounds and hidden scars. Emotional hurts, most often than not, is caused by rejection – from our parents, siblings, friends, co-workers, and these feeling tears us apart. God’s grace does not begin and end in our salvation, it rounds up from easing our guilt, to sustaining us to our daily life, to healing our wounded heart. So how does He do it? By changing the way we think. We feel rejected because we base our feelings on the approval of other people. God wants us to do otherwise; He wants us to see ourselves the way He looks at us.
1. We are Acceptable. In everything we do, we go the extra mile just to fit in. Bad news is, whatever we do people will always find fault in us, even Jesus, in His perfection, was criticized. But God says we are acceptable, because His love and acceptance is not based on performance, but on His grace.
2. We are Valuable. There are 2 factors that determine the worth of an object – who owns it, and how much the owner paid for it. The minute we accepted God in our lives, we are His. And since Jesus Christ paid for our sins with His life, we cost not just a million bucks but all of God’s fortune. So when people say we are not worthy, they are lying because our value is immeasurable, for God gave up Jesus, His most valued treasure for you and for me.
3. We are Lovable. We are hurt by our loved ones’ inconsistencies and neglect. We are scared with the thought of love fading away because of uncontained needs. It is because we have the wrong notion of ourselves being undeserving, unlovable. But God looks at us differently. He sees us as important and as lovable, warts and all, because His love is consistent and unconditional.
4. We are Forgivable. Sinners as we are, God does not hold grudges against us. Everyday we are laden with guilt that we choose to stay away from God and from others. We may have committed the gravest sin but no offense is unforgivable. For as long as you are sorry and confess to Him that loves you, you will be forgiven, for if this is not true the passion of the Christ will be useless. Jesus came not to condemn us, and judgment is only for those who reject Christ. So when we are laid down with guilt, all we have to do is look at the cross and see Jesus’ outstretched arms ,He did it so you would come.
5. We are Capable. Our insecurities are often caused by what is dictated by the people around us. We believe them because they are important to us. If only we’ll make Jesus the most important person in our life it will be His words that will matter most; and He is saying that He has given us talents and gifts for us to be sufficient in what we do, He gave us the Holy Spirit to guide our choices, and His grace sustains us everyday to give us what we need.
There are no shortcuts in healing, but we can start with a small step – A small step towards God is a big leap in our life. Get to know God, have a chat, until you realize that you’re no longer hurting, but smiling with His friendship.
Summarized by Joyce Gamboa
Grace Place celebrates every Sunday, 10:30 am at Tiara Oriental Hotel, Makati City. For inquiries, questions and directions to the location, please text GRACEPLACE <your name> <your message> to 2299.